Finally I made these art journal pages that have been in my head for a long time.
I diluted Wild Honey re-inker in my mini mister to start my background.
After drying I applied white paint in some places through a honeycomb stencil.
Because I wanted a little more depth in the middle I used my Distress brush to put some
Gathered Twigs on the page. I then put the journal aside to dry.
I die cut several hexagons with two dies for an outline and one die, de largest, for the full hexagons to make a honeycomb. With three different colours of Distress Ink I coloured those. I also put them aside to dry.
On the picture you see a smaller size hexagon, coloured and with embossed images. I didn’t use them, I made other ones but by the time I did, my outlines were already glued to the page.
In the meanwhile I stamped a bunch of flowers and gave the petals a hint of colour with my Wild Honey and a brush and coloured the hearts of the flowers with Mustard Seed.
After watching an YT Live with Tim Holtz (2021 Sizzix Chapter 2) and seeing the make of Anita Houston (https://www.artfulmaven.net/) I came up with the idea to use acetate for my bees.
I stamped my bees several times on cardstock, acetate and a few on paper to use later as a mask. The ones on cardstock I coloured and put a layer of Glossy Accent over the body and a little on the head. After letting it dry a little I poked with a toothpick in it to make some texture like a hairy body of a bee is. Then I let them dry overnight.
The next day I cut out the body with the head that was the only part I needed.
From the acetate I cut out upper and lower wings and put them aside too.
Time to put some things onto the pages.
I started with the field of flowers I wanted to make in the lower left corner and glued them with a piece of foam tape on the page.
Then I laid out my hexagons and outlines, moving them around until I was satisfied with how the colours where divided and glued them to the page. But watching out that there was no glue where I wanted to stack a flower behind the outline.
I glued with some foam tape a few flowers in the hexagon outlines.
Then the tricky part came, I wanted to stamp the bee on the page without the wings, I only needed the antenna, body and legs. I inked my stamp and whipped of the ink from the wings and stamped on to the page multiple times. Letting it dry and in the meanwhile I glued the wings to the body of the bees.
Then I glued them on to the stamped body and gladly they where fitting all well.
I die cut the letters from white and black cardstock. The white I coloured in the same colours I used for the hexagons and outlines. I glued the black letters as a shadow behind the coloured ones and glued them on my page.
Taking an overview now it was almost finished I felt like it was missing something, so I stencilled with the used colours small honeycombs in the hexagon outlines and finished it all with drawing stems in between de flowers.
I love these pages and can’t get enough of it. I hope you do too and Be Happy!
The used materials are under the image and if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask.
Ranger Dylusions Large Creative Journal
Distress Re-inker Wild Honey
Ranger Mini Mister
Stencil Honeycomb brand unknown
Distress Paint Picket Fence
Distress Ink Mustard Seed – Rusty Hinge – Wild Honey and Gathered Twigs
Tim Holtz Blending Brushes
Nellie Snellen MFD059 Hexagon Straight
Bee Stamp brand unknown
Penny Black Petal Power 30-225 Stamp set
Distress Archivel Ink Black Soot
Joy Crafts ATC stencil Honeycomb (small honeycomb)